Sunday, September 30, 2012

Foods You Will Force Me to Make You: The Suppli

I'm starting a series on Roman foods that I will learn how to cook here so that I can cook them for you when I get back to the states! I think you all are looking forward to some down-home Roman goodness, aren't you?

I haven't talked about this yet, but I recently became a babysitter for two adorable twin girls, both two years old, and I frequently hang out with them and their awesome mom, who happens to be an incredibly talented writer and blogger who knows a lot about Italy, having lived here for 10 years. I encourage you to check out her blog at http://unamericanaaroma.com/.

Anyways, today while we were going on a walk around the neighborhood, she treated the girls and I to something I had once heard of, but had yet to try. Let me introduce you to...the Supli al Telefono! (Unfortunately I did not take any photos so I had to resort to online pictures)

The Suppli consists of cheese surrounded by flavored rice, which is then deep fried with a bread coating. 

Shelley explained to me that it is called a Supli "al telefono" because when you crunch into the supli, the cheese will stretch out and resemble a telephone cable. haha, cute! There we sat on this rainy afternoon in the pizza and supli shop, watching the wet, cool rain while crunching on our hot and tasty suplis. Quite a treat :)

Although it's not the healthiest snack, its quite delicious fresh out of the frying pan

Shelley told me if we had time she might teach me how to make one! I am so excited. If there's one thing I came to Rome for, it's to learn how to cook authentic Italian food!

I think making it would go down something like this

Molto amore,

Kaori <3

No comments:

Post a Comment