Sunday, September 23, 2012

Part 2: Riomaggiore and Manarola

Hey everyone! Kaori here :) After visiting both Vernazza and Monterosso on our first day in Cinque Terre, we decided...that we were gonna visit each of the five towns! So on the second day after our beach trip to Corniglia we took the 3 minute train ride to Riomaggiore :) Each town had a unique feel and flavor to it, and each was beautiful in its own way. Also, today was September 20th, my 24th birthday! I was grateful to be in the company of awesome people for my birthday and to be in such a beautiful place!
I must say I love people-watching :P 

small but tall multi-colored houses :)
First thing we did when we got to Riomaggiore was wander the small meandering streets as well as grab a HUGE Margherita pizza at a local pizzeria. It was only 10.50 Euros for this pizza for 5 people. Thick slices of pizza dough topped with tomato sauce and lots of mozzarella. yum :) We were ready for our trek to Manarola after our meal!

Isaac looks hungry, but Su-Won just wants to take pictures!
See Camy's post for a beautiful description of the Via Dell'Amore :) It's hard to describe Riomaggiore and Manarola in words or even pictures, I really suggest that if you go to Italy, you make it a priority to visit Cinque Terre! You won't be disappointed for a second!

I couldn't have asked for a better birthday in Italy :) After we arrived in Manarola, we found many delicious looking restaurants and a dock by the sea. We all took a pleasant nap for about an hour on the dock, surrounded by the lapping greenish blue waves, Italians and even a little naked boy that was running around. It was like a dream <3. When I awoke, Camy and Isaac had gone for a walk and Kaneko was watching Su-Won dive from a huge boulder into the water. I sat there and absorbed everything :) Then about an hour later, we all watched the sun set together. Wow.

Amazing view

glad I could spend it with this girl <3
Wow. Just wow. 
 And that's not all~ to celebrate my birthday we went to a cute little restaurant that served absolutely amazing pasta and seafood dishes. 
Happiness pervaded <3

pesto lasagna...omg so good
fettucine ai batti batti aka "lobster"
hazelnut tiramisu. so yum!!
                            

happy birthday to the ground! -camy
we surprised Kow with a nice hazelnut tiramisu with a birthday candle!



4 comments:

  1. Phew! I'm glad you had a great birthday. That must be the best feeling, napping on an italian beach soaking in the culture. That's a good deal for pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan!! I'm grateful that you actually check out our blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaori, I'm so glad you had an amazing birthday , I really didn't know how to reach you but I thought about you all day and hoped you were filled with joy. And so you were! Thanks to all your friends for being there and celebrating when we could not.

    What a spectacular sunset! What a gift from God!

    ReplyDelete